Global Village playlist for Monday September 14th 2009 w/guests Sharon Gelman from ANSA Artists For A New South Africa and bassist extraordinaire Esperanza Spalding!
1. ROY HARGROVE "My Funny Valentine" ROY HARGROVE BIG BAND EMERGENCE EMARCY RECORDS
2. LA SONORA DE LUCHO MACEDO "Macedo’s Boogaloo" GOZALO VAMPISOUL RECORDS
3. MANU CHAO "La Vida Tombola" LIVE A COSA SAMPLER NACIONAL RECORDS
4. DEOLINDA "Fado Toninho" CANCAO AO LADO FOUR QUARTERS ENTERTAINMENT
5. ELEMENT BAND "Aghounig" OoNL ARA DABANDJIAN PRODUCTIONS
6. MARK ISHAM and KATE CEBERANO "In A Sentimental Mood" BITTERSWEET MIM
7. SARA TAVARES "Bue" XINTI FOUR QUARTERS ENTERTAINMENT
8. FRANSESCO CAFISO "Peace" ANGELICA CAM JAZZ
9. ALEX CUBA "Lamento" AGUA DEL POZO CARACOL RECORDS
10. ALARM WILL SOUND "Agnus Dei II" A/RHYTHMIA NONESUCH RECORDS
11. JR. WALKER & THE ALLSTARS ‘What Does It Take (To Win Your Love For Me)" FANTHOLOGY MOTOWN
12. MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL "Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing" MOTOWN
13. HUGH MASEKELA "MANDELA" LIVE AT THE MARKET THEATRE FOUR QUARTERS ENTERTAINMENT
14. VUSI MAHLASELA"Song For Thandi" GUIDING STAR ATO RECORDS
15. JACKSON BROWNE "Time The Conqueror" TIME THE CONCUEROR INSIDE RECORDINGS
16. ESPERANZA SPALIDNG ‘Cuerpo Y Alma" "Body & Soul" ESPERANZA HEADS UP INTERNATIONAL
17. ESPERANZA SPALDING "I Know You Know" ESPERANZA HEADS UP INTERNATIONAL
18. ESPERANZA SPALDING "Samba Em Preludio" ESPERANZA HEADS UP INTERNATIONAL
Peace & Love All, Our Fall Fund Drive starts tomorrow September 15th 2009, we need you folks!! To volunteer call (818) 985-2711 ext. 513 or e-mail email@example.com Special thanks to Sharon Gelman co-founder and Executive Director of Artists For A New South Africa, you're work is enormous and so much appreciated around the world and around the block. Also special thanks to Esperanza Spalding today for taking time out of her busy schedule to join us, she is truly a brilliant young musician and inspiration that the future of music is oh so bright!! Maggie
El Rey Theatre
Wednesday September 16th 2009 at 8pm
For more information call (323) 936-6400
**IMMEDIATE RELEASE *** IMMEDIATE RELEASE *** IMMEDIATE RELEASE**
ARTISTS FOR A NEW SOUTH AFRICA’S JABULANI CELEBRATION FEATURING JACKSON BROWNE, SAMUEL L. JACKSON, ARCHBISHOP DESMOND TUTU, CORY CHISEL, ALFRE WOODARD AND FRIENDS
WHERE: The Wiltern
3790 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
WHEN: Tuesday, September 22nd
Theatre Doors Open: 7:15PM
General admission tickets starting at $30 are available online through Live Nation at <http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/412684>
To purchase VIP tickets starting at $250, contact Michael Teta Associates: firstname.lastname@example.org or 818.906.0240
Artists for a New South Africa (ANSA) to honor Barbara Hogan, Ahmed Kathrada, and Alfre Woodard at their 20th anniversary celebration Jabulani!
ANSA is a nonprofit organization working in the U.S. and South Africa to combat HIV/AIDS, advance civil and voting rights, educate and empower youth, and build bonds between our nations through arts, culture, and the shared pursuit of social justice. Founded in 1989 by noted members of the arts and entertainment community to support South Africa's quest for freedom and democracy, ANSA has since raised over $9 million for effective African nonprofits, shipped more than 70 tons of medical supplies and books to impoverished communities, helped to improve government policies and reached millions of people across the U.S. and Africa with essential information about HIV/AIDS and voting rights. ANSA is currently providing ongoing comprehensive care and services to over 3,500 AIDS orphans and vulnerable children in South Africa and is working to scale up efforts to reach more of the country’s three million orphans.
Barbara Hogan is a South African human rights activist, former political prisoner and political leader known for her integrity and intelligence and for fearlessly speaking truth to power. Earlier this year, she was named by TIME magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world in recognition of her work as South Africa’s interim Minister of Health who turned around the country’s policies on AIDS. She is now the South African Minister of Public Enterprise.
Ahmed Kathrada is a renowned South African hero of the struggle against apartheid, who spent 26 years in prison alongside his lifelong friend Nelson Mandela. He served as a Member of Parliament and as Mr. Mandela’s advisor. He is an author, lecturer and an essential voice for racial equality.
Alfre Woodard is a critically acclaimed, multiple award-winning actor as well as a committed activist on human rights and social justice issues in South Africa and America. She was the founder and is an active board member of Artists for a New South Africa. She currently stars on CBS’ “Three Rivers” and earlier this year directed the audio book version of Nelson Mandela’s Favorite African Folktales, featuring 23 noted actors including Samuel L. Jackson, Helen Mirren, Scarlett Johansson, Benjamin Bratt, Don Cheadle, Debra Messing and Whoopi Goldberg.
Featuring: Samuel L. Jackson & LaTanya Richardson Jackson, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Jackson Browne, Cory Chisel and the Wondering Sons, Ted Danson & Mary Steenburgen, CCH Pounder, Hill Harper, Jurnee Smollett, Alfre Woodard, Blair Underwood, and...more names to come.
Event Honorary Chairs and Chairs: LaTanya Richardson Jackson & Samuel L. Jackson, Archbishop Desmond Tutu & Leah Tutu, Sidney & Joanna Poitier, Justice Albie Sachs & Vanessa September, Stevie “Wonder” Morris & Kai Milla Morris, Forest Whitaker & Keisha Nash-Whitaker, Deborah Santana, Jackson Browne & Dianna Cohen, Don Cheadle & Bridgid Coulter, and Gillian Anderson.